Saturday, December 8, 2007

Long-Awaited Christmas Break

This has been the first chance I have had to update this blog. Ever since Halloween, I have been extremely busy with school. It seems my professors tried to make all of my final projects coincide with one another and keep my as busy as possible, but somehow I managed and finished yet another semester.

I'll give you a quick update of the projects I have been working on. The first, Synopsis, is self-imposed. I published the last two monthly issues of my newsletter, Synopsis, and I have been getting ready to send it into the national STC competition. Synopsis has won national and international awards in the past and I hope to keep up the tradition. With Synopsis done with for the semester, I focused the rest of my time on final projects, which included, a complete visual redesign of a Customer Care training packet for ICON Health & Fitness. This was before..



This is after...I also worked on editing the ICON Training Manual (this is available to all their employees through a company intranet--I only edited the first ten out of one hundred pages and it took me about 10-15 hours or more.) I also redesigned the training manual for visual design.
Before...


And after...


Other projects included redesigning 15 pages of my own previous work, writing a recommendation report for the Food and Drug Administration (FDA), and creating a electronic portfolio.
Between all of this, my normal daily homework, and my peer tutoring job, I didn't have much time for anything except homework and dance. I think most of my friends thought I had dropped off the face of the planet, but in reality, I just became a hermit in the library. The week before Thanksgiving and the two weeks after were the worst. On average, I was working from 9:30 am until whenever they kicked me out of the library, which was usually around 12 am. It was a good thing I bought the new Adobe CS3 or else I would never have been able to get through this semester. I did, however, manage to avoid a complete meltdown during my finals. I finished Friday and I am so glad to be done with this semester. One more down, one more to go!! So close to finishing!
I was lucky because I finished on the 7th and the rest of the school doesn't finish until the 14th. English majors don't have finals, so I had a whole week to catch up on sleep, exercising, eating, and having a normal social life again before coming home for the holidays.













































2 comments:

Lisa said...

Congrats Heather! You have been working hard...although I do think you forgot to mention the playtime you did have. I mean, your stories had to come from somewhere...right?!! Just kidding. A day and a half and we'll be there!

Anonymous said...

Congrats Heather. I remember what it was like in college (even through my first three years of dental school) to be so busy you couldn't remember what day it was and barely had time to think straight.
My friendships suffered and were neglected in order to complete my education, and some of my friends were annoyed about that. But that stage of life isn't only about being social, it's the time to prepare for the future. I did notice though that those who aren't required to give their all in college are one of two things: either at a total wuss college that doesn't challenge you, or not applying themselves and gaining the education they need. Those are the people who usually float through life, and are never really that succesful at anything. Take pride in knowing what you have accomplished because it is all worth it in the end.